jaysays.com |

because simon isn’t cool anymore.

Three Black Gay Men Killed in New Orleans

December 25, 2008 By: jaysays Category: Hate Crimes, LGBT News

Felix Pearson, age 19, Kenneth Monroe, age 27, and Darriel Wilson, age 20 were murdered in their residence in New Orleans on December 11, 2008.  The men were found on December 13, 2008 after someone reported seeing part of a man’s body on the floor threw a window.  The initial reports indicate that the three men were gay and one possibly a transgendered person.  Although the reason for the murder is currently unknown, the investigation has not ruled out a hate crime.

Violence against LGBT people has risen dramatically since the passage of California’s Proposition 8 and Florida’s Amendment 2, largely in part due to the community outrage over the civil rights violations.

Regrettably, such violence is likely to continue to increase.  With the ideology that homosexuals deserve to die and that their “blood will be on their hands [heads]”, compassion for these crimes only exists among a minority of LGBT people and their straight allies.

Although in some parts of the country, such as California, straight allies and LGBT people compromise only a slight majority, in the Southern parts of the United States the statistics are frightening.  In Texas, for example, 72% of people are against homosexual equality leaving a meager 28% who defend LGBT people from such hate and violence.

The statistic is taken from the vote to ban “gay” marriage in Texas.  Although a slight leap from violence to marriage equality, the fact remains that those that do not support full equality for all people are encouraging the negative treatment of homosexuals and, although potentially unwittingly, “condoning” poor treatment of LGBT people.

For more information on the murders of these three individuals, please see Three Black Gay Men Killed in New Orleans, Police Hunt for Suspects.